Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Reply to Ranter's assignment

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member La Luna Unita's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2001
    Posts
    424
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I'm still a little nervous about posting here, so please be vicious...

    Dawn began the way it usually does, with the nocturnal turning in while the birds tuned up
    to the brightening sky. As the sun came up at the far end of the cracked asphalt road, its bright glint was reflected in the body of a tall metal man walking to the left side with his thumb sticking out. He reflected the cheery orange of the sky against the tall grass and wired fenceposts that
    followed the line of the road. Looking out across the fields, he could see a morning breeze rippling in waves across the grass and farther off, a large reaper machine cutting hay. A few miles away, he could hear the faint sound of a car engine rumbling across the flat land. He kept
    walking, running his left hand along the continous wire of the fence while holding his right thumb out to the road.
    After a few minutes, the car he had heard in the distance slowed and pulled up beside him. He looked down at his reflection in the window, which quickly rolled down to reveal a woman no older than thirty, with dark brown hair and maroon lipstick carefully painted onto her full lips.
    ?Are you looking for a ride?? she asked. He made no reply, assuming this was obvious. ?I can take you to the next town, but I?m not going any further than that,? she continued when he didn?t answer.
    He shook his head, ?No thank you, Ma?am. I?ll be fine walking.? The woman looked at him strangely, glanced down at the thumb still held out to the road, rolled up her window, and continued on. Not the right one, he thought to himself. Women always stopped for robots because they were safe, non-threatening. Unlike human hitchhikers, one never heard horrible stories about robots hijacking cars, or killing, or raping the person kind enough to offer a ride. The robot kept walking as the sun rose higher behind him, turning its reflection into a hot, blinding light upon his shoulders.

    ------------------
    Tyle: "What are we listening to?"
    La Luna: "King Crimson."
    Tyle: "Oh, duh, of course."

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ranter's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2001
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well, then...hhhmmph, what you presented here isnt really a character description, in asmuch as its just a simple narrative of a scene...youre not giving us anything really about the robot, or the lady driving the car (whoever the scene is really about)...give more on a certain -character- describe them

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member La Luna Unita's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2001
    Posts
    424
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Got it. I might try another when I get the urge. Are we only supposed to respond once to a particular assignment?

    ------------------
    SexSleepEatDrinkDream

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2001
    Posts
    2,688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, You can do the assignment as much as you want I'd imagine, no one ever said any rules about that biggrin

    ------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

    If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Soiled Soul's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want to read the next page of this...i wanna see where this was going.

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member La Luna Unita's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2001
    Posts
    424
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    heh... well, there isn't really a next page. That's where I stopped. But I'll work on it, since you asked. Anyone read Isaac Asimov? It's probably pretty obvious where this came from if you have.

    ------------------
    SexSleepEatDrinkDream

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2001
    Posts
    2,688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sci-fi/Fantasy author?
    I'm pretty sure that's what he's categorized as... I've seen a few of his books and read the backs. I work in a book store, so usually, you give me an author, I can give you a work by him/her, or you give me a work, I can sometimes give authors. It's pretty bad that I have that much time on my hands.


    ------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

    If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member La Luna Unita's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2001
    Posts
    424
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry, I know we're off topic, but I'll get back to the story when I have time to sit and think about it... If you are going to read Issac Asimov, start with I, Robot which is a collection of short stories about robots. I now love the whole concept of robots, androids, etc. because of this book.

    ------------------
    SexSleepEatDrinkDream

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Branflakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    2,290
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Hey, La Luna. smile

    *waves*

    That's it, just saying hi. biggrin

    ------------------
    The ninja lesbian milk getter. aka dorkflakes.
    Take the time to look up at the moon and stars.
    Clicking on that banner keeps Hostboard alive. Please help by clicking once
    a day.

    ChatterBox

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •